Grandparents’ Visitation

Visitation, or even custody, may be awarded to a third party, meaning someone who is not the parent of the minor child, but only if it is in the best interest of the child. A third party would include the minor child’s grandparents.

At any time, including before the termination of the parents’ marriage, a grandparent can petition the Court for reasonable visitation with their grandchild. However, before ordering visitation with a grandparent over parental objection, the judge must make a finding that the parents are unfit or that some other exceptional circumstances exist to justify overriding the parent’s decision.

In Maryland, there is no presumption in favor of grandparent visitation. As with all custody and visitation decisions, the judge’s primary focus is what is in the best interest of the minor child.

If you are a grandparent who desperately wants the judge’s help in obtaining visitation or even have custody of your grandchild, don’t go through this Court proceedings on your own. You need the support of an experienced and dedicated Maryland grandparents’ visitation lawyer who can help you prove to the judge what is in the best interest of your grandchild. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.